Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hiking to Rainbow Falls




After Devil's Postpile, we hiked on to Rainbow Falls. It was approx. a 2.5 mile hike. Some places we walked were so beautiful, it felt like you had just stepped into a dream...like it wasn't real.
I was wondering how we go day in and day out, living our lives without seeing this.

Well, this was our goal...Rainbow Falls.













And this was the walk to get there.



Super Brendan is on the bottom, holding up the tree with 3 of his cousins on top!
















Everytime I look at this picture, I'm thankful I did not have Kate or Ryan with me that day.The ridge was very slippery on the sand, and you are very high up, with no railing, nothing to keep you from falling. The view was so pretty though, it almost called you to lean over and look. Lucky for me I'm terrified of heights, so was able to overcome the urge to peer over the edge. See? I knew my paranoia would come in handy some day!




About 15 yrs. ago there was a big fire that burned these trees, just over the ridge from the falls. It was actually really beautiful in it's own way, and you couldn't stop looking at it...like Stonehenge or some type of monument, it just kept your attention. Everytime you thought you saw it all, you would step a bit further and see more and more hills covered with the remains of these trees.











Walking down the last leg of the hike to the falls...my sister Shannon and 2 of her boys.

Here is the ledge you look over to see the falls. When we backpacked here with a church camp when I was 16, we hiked into the bottom of the falls, and I don't remember there being any look-over point. You are pretty darn high up here.



The funny thing about these pictures, is that everything looks...smaller than it did in real life. The falls are very big and loud!




Good-bye Rainbow Falls. Hopefully we'll be back next year.

No comments: