Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Weekend At Children's






By Saturday afternoon, Kate had shown a marked improvement, and again on Sunday. All the things that had accosted my senses had begun to fade...the horrible gurlging sound she made when she cried on Friday had stopped, the incredible smell of blood had lessened on Saturday, and was all but gone by Sunday. The doctor had begun a medicine in her I.V. that helps to diminish the swelling, and by Sunday, she had started to look more like her old self. Her pain level was also easing, as time passed, so they stopped the Morphine, and continued with only the Tylenol w/Codeine for the pain. The nurses would come in and clean her up with Hydrogen Peroxide, which (they say) didn't hurt, but they would meet strong opposition from Kate. That little kid could be almost unconscious with exhaustion and medication, and she was still one to be reckoned with. The only thing that remained, aside from all the wires she was hooked up to, was the piece of "sterile" tape under her nose. It was like an old yucky bandaid that had gotten blood under it on Friday. We could not take it off, clean her up and put on a fresh one, but rather had to wait until it fell off...it may take a week(!) I prayed that it fell off soon.

Kevin and I tag-teamed who would spend the night, and the other of us would leave and come back the next morning. Kevin was the bringer of all food, (which we would try to eat while Kate was asleep), and would run any necessary errands, while I stayed with Kate. He also gave me a new romantic comedy dvd (my favorite present) for Mother's Day, which I opened as the boys were at my sister-in-laws, and Kate lay sleeping in her hospital crib. It was a funny Mother's Day. But at least we have Kate now, and her surgery is behind us.

P.S. If you double-click on a picture it will enlarge it, if you're so inclined to get a really good look at the surgeon's work.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Kate I hope she feels better soon

from your cousin Liam

Becky said...

Kate looks great! I sure hope she's feeling better very soon! Elizabeth & I love to check your blog to see Kate. She still remembers her from our trip!
Becky

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Well not the whole, bloody surgery part. but the results!
<3
Ya get better cuz!

Unknown said...

I'm glad the surgery is behind you and she is doing well. I'm sure it's been rough to see your baby endure this! We're thinking of you!

Alison, Adam, and Gloria