Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Kate's Palate Reopened

Hi. To make a long story short, I took Kate to the pediatrician Tuesday and he took a peek at her palate and lip. He said the lip looks great, and the nose is healing nicely...pause...I ask "what else?!"..."Well, it looks as if her palate is open on one side." I felt as if I had been sucker-punched, as the last three days of hospitals, nurses, and smells, go flooding through my mind. My eyes well up with tears for about the 20th time in the last 5 days. Kate is sitting on my lap and her pediatrician looks up at me, and tries to backpeddle and reassure me that he's not sure, maybe the surgeon meant to do it in stages, and that it may not have "reopened".... his voice fades off as I hold Kate close to me...

She had an appt. with the surgeon the next day (today) and he confirmed what we had feared, that her palate, had indeed, partially reopened. He looked with a flashlight and said, "That's the biggest fissure (opoening in the stitches) I've ever seen." The doctor asks us what we've fed her (only liquids and applesauce and yogurt, none of which could have caused this), did she have her arm restraints on when she slept (yes), does she put her fingers or toys in her mouth? (nope)...so that puts us in the small minority of cases where it has to be partially redone.

Today has been very disheartening, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective...and make sure Kate does not fall and hit that mouth!!! Especially for the next 3 weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

super lame. Although it may suck now, I bet everything is gonna turn out okay.
Good luck!
<3