Thursday, March 1, 2007

Someone’s Coming Out of Their Shell





It was a very interesting day today, but it’s 11:00pm and I’m bushed and now have Kate sitting in my lap…so I will probably write about it on the plane ride to Guangzhou today...(tomorrow?) We leave around lunch time here, so that would be…umm…I think 8:pm San Diego time.

Let me just suffice to say that my little friend really came out of her shell today, and showed us her very charming, smiley little personality. She woke up in little yellow thermals, with a sweet mood and a serious case of bedhead. :)

We saw her toddle around…she walks like a 13 or 14 month old, where their whole body moves as they walk…very sweet. She did not cry when we set her down, and other than the fact that she does not seem to like the formula we chose, she was very easy going and pleasant. She even would try to sing or talk with you…pretty much humming with her mouth open. I think she could pretty easily learn to say ‘hi’ and ‘mama’, but you can tell the simple mechanics for other words are not there (until after her surgery), even though she understands language (well, at least Chinese).

Oh, this is so funny, I’m trying to teach her some sign language, and today I’m eating some top ramen noodles and she sits there like a baby bird with her little mouth wide open and leans forward…then as if I’m not getting the picture, she takes her right flat hand and pats her own chest. I’m laughing, “Oh my gosh, she already has a sign of her own making!” After a few bites, which she loved, she pats her chest again, and leans forward with that little mouth open so wide, a 747 could have taken off from there. I’m cracking up and she sees the humor and smiles this huge, adorable smile. When she smiles, her whole face smiles, with her eyes squinted. It makes me happy to see her smile like that…like the sun is shining on a beautiful, sunny day!

Lastly, due to Chinese New Years spring festival, there are fireworks for sale everywhere. Every night you can hear fireworks going off sporadically, and in the morning, see red paper stuff in the street that the sanitation workers are sweeping up. So Kevin took a picture of a table where they were being sold, and was amazed at the size of them. They were HUGE! These were not the size of birthday candles…dynamite comes more to mind. The San Diego Fire Marshall would have a field day. Fireworks are going off as I write this.

P.S. Thank you for all the posts you all have added to the blog. Kevin and I love reading them!!


13 comments:

Janice Kelley said...

Kevin & Heather,
I have only spoken to you via email, but have enjoyed reading your blog everyday! I really appreciate you sharing the address with me. My entire family enjoys reading your posts everyday! I look forward to seeing what has happened for you all each new day! It has been good for us to read them since we will be making the exact same trip soon! We are very excited for your family! I hope you all enjoy the rest of your stay in China and have a safe trip home.
Janice Kelley

Cathy said...

Kate is looking more settled with her forever family and getting cuter by the day. You may have some tough times in the transition, but you all will be the only family she ever knows!
We love the photos and blog messages, you guys are doing a great job! I can't wait to meet her in person.

Peace and safe passage on your journey, Cathy

Scott said...

They say "Pictures say a thousand words!", and this is definitely true for Kate! Such a transformation as the days go by! What a wonderful and memorable experience this will be for all of you.

Thank you for sharing and posting those updates even though I know how busy and tired you must be!

Just think, Guangzhou soon, and then HOME!!!!

Joyce

Anonymous said...

I cant get over just how adorable she is! Hey daddy, you asked me what i wanted from China..Can you bring me fireworks? I promise bryson and i will use them responsibly..mwahaha. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I found about your blog from a friend of a friend. Kate is adorable! Congratulations to you all!

We came home with our girl, Joy, in February last year. Reading your blog brings back so many memories!

Mary

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of her...and she looks stunning even with bedhead :o)

The days are ticking away. Brendan will be staying with us Friday night and Antonio is soooo excited. He really misses him!!!

I guess I better get busy on painting that rocking chair...it's the next project on my list.

Love, Joan

Anonymous said...

OH MAEY GAWWSSHHH!!
I have to say, the picture of her in yellow thermals with bed head is definately my favorite, of all time. She looks just flate out cute.
So pretty much, you guys are bringing me back some fireworks...right?
<3
megan.

Anonymous said...

It has been so wonderful to read about this amazing journey and see Kate really warming up to you all. Continued luck as you all make this transition together.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

hey.. u cant bring meg home fireworks and not me! shes your niece! im the daughter..oops, well the other daughter. lOL. pLEASE BRING ME FIREWORKS. aND I'D HAVE TO SAY THE ONE OF MY DAD HOLDIN HER AND HER LAUGHING IS MY FAVORITE. lOVE YOU

Unknown said...

Hi Kevin & Heather,
It is so wonderful to read your blog and see all the great pictures of Kate and China. I love the way her whole face lights up when she smiles!

Kevin, we talk about you almost every day at work wondering "Now where are they today and what are they doing?"

I can hardly wait to meet Kate in person...you do plan on bringing her by the office, right?

Julie S

Anonymous said...

Eagerly await daily newscast from China...anticipation brightens our days. She is really a beautiful, doll-like child..can easily see the fascination. Thanks for the blog. From the aunts in Lex.

Anonymous said...

We are Blog Challenged! This, our second attempt to let you know how much we look forward to your daily updates. Kate is beautiful, can easily see how she brightens the world. Love to all from the aunts on the East Coast.

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is the great aunts third attempt to follow Phyllis's instructions on how to relay our congratulations to all of you. Kate is just beautiful and the daily updates are wonderful. Love Mary Lou and Nancy