Monday, March 19, 2007

Miss Katie-Pie Lays Herself Down For A Nap.



By 10:00 Saturday morning, Miss Kate had already had a bath, eaten so much for breakfast that her little tummy was just sticking out, and had company stop over. We were all puttering around the house cleaning up…I had Kate with me and was picking up her room after Hurricane Ryan had passed through. I set Kate on Ryan’s transition bed, and went back to picking some things up. I assumed she would just “climb” off, but she lays down, and begins changing positions, (I thought just being silly). Over and over, she moves, and flips around, like Sid the Sloth, getting comfortable on the rock in Ice Age. Then it happens…the eye lids start looking heavy, she nuzzles into his flannel pillow case, and just as she is ready to drift off…she looks right at me (more awake). Trying to pretend I'm not watching her, I go back to my puttering around the room. I see her out of the corner of my eye fade off to sleep in a sunny room, on her brother’s little bed. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen her fall asleep on her own like that (except once in the carseat). We’ve had her for almost 3 weeks, and I’ve never seen her relax and...just...fall asleep. The funny little things you take for granted when you have a child since infancy…feeling comfortable enough to fall asleep on a Saturday morning.

In so many ways Kate seems to have just acclimated so quickly, amazingly quickly. And then there are little ways, when you can see, it will take quite a while until she feels, really…safe…and knows she does not have to worry about food, or having a family forever or falling asleep and feeling secure .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aw she gets cuter in every picture. look at smurph being the good guard dog he is..wait! since when is he allowed in there! haha..things have changed. i miss you guys! im comin down in only two months! yay! my baby sisterrrrrrrrrr