Sunday, February 25, 2007

IT'S A GIRL!


WE HAVE KATE! WE HAVE KATE! About 15 minutes after we arrived at the Civil Affairs office this morning, the asst. orphanage director walked in to the upstairs hallway (someone had gone to get the keys to open the office door) and she smiled at us. My confidence immediately flew out the window and, yes, in answer to your question, I started crying, as it registered without anyone saying a word, that this was my baby. The asst. director, Liqing, looked touched and smiled very kindly at me.
The little one she was holding was smaller than I had pictured. She said to Kate, 'Mama, Baba" and some other words in Chinese. Kate turned and looked at me as I touched her back, looked completely disinterested, turned her head and lay it back down. Kevin, however, walked up to her a moment later and said something quietly to her and she turned with arms out and went to him. It was very sweet. She just lay her head on his shoulder, like they'd been buddies forever.
We went in to the office and talked with our coordinator/translator, May, the asst. dir. Liqing, and the young woman filling out the official paperwork. It was very calm, and happy, and I think they truly shared in our joy. It was a nice time. We had to sign a lot of papers that were written in Chinese, and asked why we wish to adopt a Chinese child. I wrote a paper saying that we will raise her as our own, take care of her special-need medical care, educate her, and promise to never abandon her...."Do you promise never to abandon her?"....my eyes fill with tears as I nod, and they all laugh kindly and smile. Kate, at this point, is sound asleep on Kevin's chest. They woke her up (not intentionally) to put her delicate little baby hand in red ink, and press it onto one of many official papers. She kept looking at it later, like, 'why on earth did you paint my hand red?'
Kevin and I both held her, and there were no tears. She just sort of looked like, "well, you both seem okay, and as long as you hold me, I guess I could come with you." This little girl is a cuddler, and very calm. She only cried once for a moment, a very soft, tired little cry. I stood up and walked, "It's O.K. baby girl" and she just stopped.
The day has been a whirlwind since then. We have been to the notary, CROSSED THE STREET!!!! (which took an enormous amount of courage!) went to Walmart for water and a few items, (this is not like Walmart in America) and had passport & certificate pictures taken for Kate and the three of us together. Oh, and I'm pretty sure she had her very first bath in the tub. She started crying for a second, then I lowered her in the really warm water, dad brought a toy, and she relaxed, "well, okay, alright, this might not be so bad...feels kinda good actually." Then I had to go and blow it by washing her hair. I swear I was being really gentle, but she wasn't having any of it...BABA! Daddy came in a scooped her into a towel and she held onto his shoulders. She fit into her little 18 mo. pajamas (they're super cute pink flannel with little flowers :) and only wanted to be held...not on the hip, but chest to chest. That's understandable. She's been through a lot in one day. She's been through more in 20 months than any little person should have to deal with. But she'll be home soon...with her forever family.












\

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! We are so excited for you and can't wait to meet Baby Kate in person. She looks so happy to be with her mommy and daddy! Come home soon!!

Love, Mimi & Rich

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom & Dad-

The picture where Kate fell asleep on Dad is cute. The picture where you took a picture of Kate staring was cute too. Ryan misses you a lot. I miss you too.

Love, Colton

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - what a big day! God Bless all of you. She is very beautiful!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

OOMMMGGGGG!!
She is sooooo adorable!
I cannot wait till you guys get home so i can hold her too!
(if you let me that is =].)
I am so glad that you got her!
<3
Megan

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A BABY SISTER! OMG! guys, i am so stoked. she is truly beautiful. i have happy tears running down my cheeks..heather i cant believe you finally have a baby girl of your own..daddy, i cant believe youre lucky enough to have ANOTHER one. haha. havea great rest the trip, come home safe, and i cant wait to hold my new sister. shes beautiful. i cant imagine what that mustve been like. love you!
mandi

Lisa said...

Oh my! It takes my breath away to see these photos....we are so very happy for you!!! What special moments you are living through. Enjoy this incredible time, enjoy getting to know eachother and enjoy China! Tell Baby Kate that she has two neighborhood buddies who can't wait to meet her!!

Time to run for another kleenex!

Lisa and Ian
Zoe and Mae Mae

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather & Kevin-

Baby Kate is so cute I can't wait for her to come home to sunny San Diego, (well not so sunny today)!! I think Kate will love Murphy and the rest of her family. You guys are so lucky to have a baby girl.
Hope to see you and Baby Kate soon.

Your favorite nephew,
Liam :) :) :)

Brian and Darin said...

Congratulations!!! She's absolutely adorable! She sounds like she's going to be daddy's girl! Enjoy every moment!

Darin

Anonymous said...

So 2-25-07 is Kate's American birthday!! She'll have 2 birthdays a year - Chinese and American?! I've always heard that the purest love on this earth is between a dad and his little daughter. Maybe there's truth to that! She's really, really cute - have a good flight home- see you soon.

Ann

IngridForbes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IngridForbes said...

Hey there! Great pictures! She looks so cozy with you both. She is getting a fantastic family. She is so very lucky!!! Makes me want to visit China with all of the picts of the Great Wall, the square... Enjoy your time there, and travel safe. I will enjoy reading your updates. Talk with you soon.
Love,
Ingrid

Anonymous said...

kevin and heather -
congratualations on your beautiful new baby girl! We are so proud of you taking her in and loving her- she is truly beautiful and seems like she has such a loving disposition.!
Embrace her and her culture then then teach her all the wonderful ideas you both have about love and children!
We wish you the best!

marla and david