Thursday, May 1, 2008

Kate's Surgery

On Tuesday, April 29th, Kate had surgery at Children's Hospital. She had the remaining 2 small holes in her palate closed up (it was approx. the length of a dime, right behind her front teeth), her frenulum, the little piece of skin under the tongue, clipped, because it came out too far (this is actually pretty common), and her lip touched up. Yikes! Sounds awful doesn't it?

Well, typical to form, Kate has taken it with her usual toughness. She amazes me sometimes. The surgeon came out of surgery earlier than expected and told us everything went great, and there were no surprises. He touched up her lip by removing some of the scar that was present, going from her nose to her lip, and putting in a shot of steroid in hopes that it would scar less in the future.

Only one parent can go into recovery at a time, and this time I was prepared for what it would look like, and smell like. But when I went back, I was pleasantly surprised at her appearance. It was much easier to deal with than last time: she physically looked better, less swelling, less blood noticeable, and she seemed to be more coherant when they took us back. I actually heard her before I saw her. She was crying...LOUDLY...and would only stop if you were leaning over her, hugging her in a protective sort of way. Then she would drift off to sleep and upon awakening, it was like she was scared and upset all over again as she would scan the room, her eyes coming to rest on the nurse as if to say, "and who the heck are YOU?!" After a few more minutes, Kate started to frantically sign 'daddy', making no attempt to speak. "You want Daddy?" Kate nods with tears, "Okay Baby, I'll go get him." 10 minutes or so later, Kevin came to get me..."O.K. Mom, you're on. She's signing for you." This went back and forth until she was out of the recovery room, and into her own room.


This cuff feels familiar...seems like I've been here before....




The nurse had to check my blood pressure while I was getting checked in.




Ya know, you'd think they could come up with a better design for a hospital gown. Everyone smiled when I walked with my Mommy and Daddy into the waiting room...

Mommys' silly. The hospital gave me a bunny to hold, to take my mind off being hungry and tired.(No food the morning of surgery, and I didn't go in until 2:15 in the afternoon...way past my lunchtime and naptime!)




What do you say we just leave??


"Reading" a Jack & Jill magazine to pass the time, waiting for the nurse to come and get me.



I shoulda left when I had the chance... oooohhhh.
I could only sleep if Mommy was holding me...or I was very sad and scared and I cried. But if Mommy was there, I felt safe.





The only problem is that my crib was about 4 1/2 feet long, and Mommy is almost 5'10".





They have funny cribs in the hospital. The nurses said it's because kids are different than adults...they don't "milk it" and enjoy the attention, and having people wait on them. Once they feel better at all, they're attitude is "I'm outta here" and they try to climb out and leave! So up go the sides, and down come the plastic curtains.
Kate proved her right about 24 hrs. after her surgery when she tried to climb out and let us know she was ready to leave! (I had left the end curtain open, so she could see the TV, and sure enough, that was where she tried to climb out!)


Here is Mommy's deluxe bed in the background! At least we had a room to ourselves.


I love you little girl.

Poor baby. She was pretty uncomfortable and they had given her tylenol with codeine.






Going home.
Kate was singing and humming on the way out to the car. Typical Kate...she's a resilient, tough, but sweet little kid.

No comments: