Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Baptism, Kate Turns 2!

Our family at church the morning of Kate's baptism.
Ignore my little angel in the red shirt (Ryan). He was not in one of his more cooperative moods.
The baptism was during the children's message...
My mom and dad, Kevin's brother's family, and one of my brother's families shared the morning with us and Pastor Scott Mitchell.
I promise you, I did not teach her the "Loser" sign. I have no idea what she is doing here (LOL)...I didn't even see her do it, then 3 different friends, laughing, asked me about it...I guess she was doing it during the service! Uugh! (I know, I know, I should have ironed the dress!...another uugh!)

Okay, I know I'm behind on the blog. The days have been so busy lately! Brendan graduated elementary school (5th grade), and he and Colton finished up the school year, as Ryan finished up preschool for the year. Summer is in full bloom at our house, with swimsuits and beach towels constantly hanging in the bathroom, or going through the laundry, and to top it all off, the washing machine is dying...not good (unless I secretly admit that I'm hoping to get a front loading washer that can wash 2 loads at the same time! :)

Kate was baptized in our Presbyterian church on Father's day. The girl of the day wore a white satin traditional Chinese gown and slippers. We tried to hold her and look somewhat dignified during the baptism, but it was futile, and was like trying to hold a 2 year old Energizer Rabbit...she squirmed and wiggled, and wiggled and squirmed, and tried to dive out of our arms, until we finally put her down amongst the circle of children surrounding us (it was during the children's sermon). She looked victorious, smiled, and immediately made her rounds between her brothers in the group, hugging them. (They looked very proud) Pastor Scott would smile, and patiently continue with the baptism. When he apprehensively took Kate in his arms, not sure what to expect, she surprised all as she went with him, looking beautiful and calm as he baptized her and walked around the congregation with her, while finishing his message. Kevin leans over and whispers to me, "She looks almost regal...so calm, and with that dress". I had to agree, as Pastor Scott returned her to us. Then the giggles start because the second Kevin takes her, Kate's legs start going, like she's riding an invisible bike, racing for the finish line. She knows whos-who, little stinker. My heart felt happy seeing her baptized in the Christian church.




Well, Kate also hit the big 02! Although it was her second birthday, it was undoubtedly her first birthday party. We celebrated the day at a park in Poway. It was perfect weather...very warm, with a nice breeze. Lots of food, cake, balloons and girlie presents. I'm used to seeing Tonka trucks, and balls, Hot Wheels and action figures. With Kate there was pink and yellow polka dots, a tea set, a doll that can shower, and a set of Princess "wheels". Each present made me smile. It took Kate a few presents to figure out that these were for her. Ryan kept hugging her and saying, "Happy Birthday Kate!!" (very loudly). This was code for 'This is so great! Look at all this stuff you scored that I can use!...uh, I mean borrow." :)
"Hang on there little lady...you better let me try out those wheels for you first...we don't want you hurtin' yourself...now move it over sister!"

2 comments:

Brian and Darin said...

She's looking as beautiful as ever! Happy Birthday big girl!

Unknown said...

Nice pictures! Did you get the white dress at Cute Baby?? =)) Happy Birthday Kate! We miss you all!!

Alison, Adam, and Gloria